Floating Point-The Results Are In!

Johnny Billquist bqt at Update.UU.SE
Sun May 10 21:48:23 AEST 1998

On Thu, 7 May 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Wed,  6 May 1998 at 20:45:41 -0400, Ed G. wrote:
> > Using a new approach, I have re-counted the number of floating point
> > operations for the utilities contained in Unix's bin directory.
> > According to my results, many important 7th Edition programs such as
> > adb, awk and tar make heavy use of floating point on the PDP-11.
>
> I'll believe this when you pinpoint the instructions.

I wouldn't be *that* surprised by these results. For instance, I believe
that longs are implemented with FP. And I wouldn't be surprised if a few
FP ops were sneaked in to compute some stuff that aren't immediately
appearant.

	Johnny

                                  ||  on a psychedelic trip
email: bqt at update.uu.se           ||  Reading murder books

	by minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au (8.8.8/8.8.8) id CAA22385
	for pups-liszt; Mon, 11 May 1998 02:30:15 +1000 (EST)