4.2BSD and 4.3BSD

Michael Sokolov mxs46 at k2.scl.cwru.edu
Fri Nov 13 22:05:43 AEST 1998

   Dear PUPS/TUHS members,

   I have just uploaded the images from the 4.3BSD tapes I had read on
CWRU's MVS mainframe back in June. They are perfect (the 1600 BPI tapes
were read without any errors and the format is absolutely correct). Note,
though, that this is the June 1986 4.3BSD release, and I remember Kirk
saying that among the tapes Rick is reading there is one with 4.3BSD
revision 2, which is presumably 4.3BSD with some bugs fixed.

   I have also put an honest effort into reconstructing the 4.2BSD tape
images from the files in Distributions/4bsd/Per_Andersson_4.2. The latter
have the boot/standalone system file (1st on the tape) broken, the tarball
with /usr/src also broken, and the tarball with /usr/lib/vfont simply
missing. I have manually repaired the boot/standalone system file (using my
brain and a hex editor), but unfortunately /usr/src is broken beyond repair
(so I didn't include it in my repackaging). I see no reason for the
Varian/Versatec fonts to change between BSD releases, so /usr/lib/vfont
from 4.3BSD will probably do fine. It would still be nice if Rick could
read Kirk's 4.2BSD tapes, though. For practical use 4.3BSD completely
supersedes it, but for historical purposes we should preserve 4.2BSD as
well.

   This stuff is in:

/usr/home/msokolov/42.vax (4.2BSD)
/usr/home/msokolov/43.vax (4.3BSD)

   on minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au. (Warren, if you want to put this in the main
PUPS archive, go ahead and do it for 43.vax, as it should be ready to be
frozen, but I would hold on with 42.vax. Hopefully Rick will have some luck
reading Kirk's tapes, and then I'll update the 42.vax directory by filling
the missing pieces.)

   Sincerely,
   Michael Sokolov
   Phone: 440-449-0299 (Home) 216-217-2579 (Cellular)
   ARPA Internet SMTP mail: mxs46 at k2.scl.cwru.edu