Reno (was Re: What *was* the Tahoe?)

Kirk McKusick mckusick at mckusick.com
Wed Nov 25 02:19:01 AEST 1998

	From: SHOPPA at trailing-edge.com
	Date: Mon, 23 Nov 1998 11:05:52 -0500
	To: PUPS at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au
	Subject: Reno (was Re: What *was* the Tahoe?)
	Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.oz.au

	>Tahoe was the internal "code" name that Computer Consoles Inc used
	>for their Power 6/32 processor.

	That's useful.  The Tahoe-specific documentation also mentions
	the Harris HCX-7, the Unisys 7000/40, and ICL Clan 7 - were
	these in any way compatible with the Tahoe, or just "other"
	ports?

	And where does "Reno" come from, while we're at it?

	Tim. (shoppa at trailing-edge.com)

The 4.3-Reno distribution was named after the city of that name
in Nevada. We picked that name because the 4.3-Reno distribution
was an interim release on the way to 4.4BSD and hence was not as
fully polished or tested as our production releases. The idea was to
remind recipients that it was more of a "gamble" to run Reno than
our production releases.

	Kirk McKusick