Installing UNIX on an 11/94

Johnny Billquist bqt at Update.UU.SE
Sat Dec 18 05:10:31 AEST 1999

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Steven M. Schultz wrote:

> Hi -
>
> > From: Johnny Billquist <bqt at Update.UU.SE>
> > Agree. I'd like to get my hands on a /94 myself... :-)
>
> 	An 11/93 would be nice too, Qbus systems use less power and make less
> 	noise from what I have seen.

Well, I'm in love with Unibus systems... I have an 11/84 at home, and of
course, there is always Magica, which is an 11/70... :-)
(And then we have Knase, which is our 11/70 with 2.11BSD. Unfortunately,
both systems are powered off right now because of cooling problems. :-(

> > Less powerhungry, yes. It also takes less space on the Unibus, and is
> > faster. But I wasn't aware that the DEUNA had any more bugs than the
> > DELUA. Please enlight me. (I only use DELUAs myself, but I have one or two
> > DEUNAs lying around).
>
> 	I know the DEQNA had firmware problems that could cause the board to
> 	lock up under load - perhaps I was confusing the DEQNA and DEUNA.
> 	The later Qbus board (DELQA) was much nicer in the same way that the
> 	DELUA is better than the DEUNA.

I don't think the DEUNA has that bug which riddles the DEQNA.
Also, the DEUNA/DELUA loads some microcode when I start using them, this
is running RSX. That microcode is located on the RSX system. Beats me what
it is for, or anything.
Worse (parhaps) is that the device driver for the DEUNA/DELUA don't work
with any Q-bus models, which means I don't have a driver for Q-bus
machines...

Anybody know anything more about this? I really don't care to dig around
the sources here, and also, I don't have the sources to all components.

	Johnny

                                  ||  on a psychedelic trip
email: bqt at update.uu.se           ||  Reading murder books

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.3/8.9.3) id GAA73644
	for pups-liszt; Sat, 18 Dec 1999 06:13:06 +1100 (EST)