Venix (was Re: 2.9BSD: mbuf.h)

Allison J Parent allisonp at world.std.com
Fri Feb 19 10:22:33 AEST 1999

<> I'm going to give up as I seem to remember nothing anymore... sigh.
<> Allison also sent e-mail saying the DEQNA is not T-11 based.  I guess
<> I'm thinking of an RQDX3.  I've had no place to unpack my old iron in
<> over three years and certainly miss being able to pick up the part in
<> question before foaming at the mouth spouting nonsense. Many apologies
<> for suggesting such major inaccuracies.  -- Ken
<>
<> P.S.  Allison describe the DEQNA as a state-driven device with PALs
<>       (I think) and that "big F" may the the gate array also mentioned.
<
<You might not be totally out. I also thought the DEQNA was T-11 based,
<since the DEUNA is. :-)

I have a DEQNA in front of me.  There is a micro and that is a 8751 8bitter.
The big chip is a LSI ASIC that is a linked list DMA controller.  No t-11.
The RQDXn(n={1,2,3} uses a t-11.  The DELQA also does not use a T-11.
Both use lots of logic in PALs and ASICs to perform several state machines
needed for eithenet.  At the time of development there were few complete
and fast enough chipsets for eithernet.  The DEQNA is mid 80s design and
quite old.

The DEUNA is quite different.

Allison

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.1/8.9.1) id LAA19476
	for pups-liszt; Fri, 19 Feb 1999 11:40:24 +1100 (EST)