Why is csh `restricted'?

Steven M. Schultz sms at moe.2bsd.com
Tue Jan 5 15:26:35 AEST 1999

Warren -

> The csh was first released in 2bsd, and came with the copyright notice:

> /* Copyright (c) 1979 Regents of the University of California */
> /*
>  * C Shell
>  *
>  * Bill Joy, UC Berkeley
>  * October, 1978
>  */
> 	Csh sources are not public domain. If you do not have an AT&T V3.2
> 	source licence or better, you are stuck.
>
> So, can anybody tell me if, when and how did the sources to csh become
> restricted, or if not, how this urban legend arose??

	It is not that they "became" restricted.  They always "were" restricted
	because they were derived from the original Bell Labs (later AT&T)
	sources (code borrowed from /bin/sh).  All UNIX sources were, up until
	you negotiated the deal with SCO, restricted.

	For a long time you either had a multi-kilodollar source license
	or you didn't run UNIX at all.  The binary distributions came a bit
	later.  Initially when 'csh' was being written you had to have a
	source license.  Typically you'd pay (if memory serves) $25k or so
	(quite a chunk of cash in 1979) for a WesternElectric license, park
	the tapes in a rack and send a copy of the license and a check for a
	few hundred dollars off to UCB to get the software you really intended
	to run ;)

	You'll note that the copyright lacks the "may be redistributed ..."
	clauses that we typically associate with UCB software.  The famous
	UCB style of copyright ("copyrighted but redistributable") came
	later.

	Steven

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.1/8.9.1) id QAA08185
	for pups-liszt; Tue, 5 Jan 1999 16:29:51 +1100 (EST)