Why is csh `restricted'?

Greg Lehey grog at lemis.com
Tue Jan 5 17:16:39 AEST 1999

On Monday,  4 January 1999 at 22:45:35 -0800, Steven M. Schultz wrote:
> Greg -
>
>> From: Greg Lehey <grog at lemis.com>
>>
>> There has been a lot of confusion on this point.  Well, maybe
>> ``disagreement'' would be a better word.  Obviously Net-2 contained
>
> 	Hmmm, I think `confusion' is a better fit.  Of course said confusion
> 	does lead to disagreement eventually ;)

We can agree (or is that defuse?) about that.

>> think somebody mentioned something like 13 files in the context of the
>
> 	I'd heard it was 7 files at one time, then 11.  It's a fairly
> 	small number _but_ the exact list was never disclosed (part of the
> 	settlement I understand).  Without a list of files the fear (at the
> 	time) was that "the enemy" could come after you claiming derivation
> 	of some work from the forbidden files.  Since you didn't know what
> 	files those were it was hard (impossible) to know what you could or
> 	couldn't use.

Well, here's an extract from BSDI's announcement dated 8 Feb 1994:

> This broadcast message addresses many of the questions that have arrived
> in my mailbox in the last few days.
>
> Q:  After this lawsuit resolution, is BSDI still in business?
> A:  You bet.  And we're shipping 1.1 early next week.
>
> Q:  The press release was unclear, do I get to keep my current copy
>    of BSD/386?
> A:  The answer is yes!  BSDI is not recalling prior versions.
>    Any USA domestic customer whose support was valid through December,
>    1993 will be shipped the new V1.1 release.  I will be mailing a paper
>    letter to each USA domestic customer detailing their service contract
>    status and verifying the V1.1 shipping address.
>
> Q:  What's all this about `binary-only files'?  Will BSDI continue to
>    ship source code?
> A:  For Version 1.1 only, BSDI will ship the following kernel files
>    in binary format:
>
>	kern/init_main.c	kern/subr_rmap.c	ufs/ufs_bmap.c
>	kern/kern_clock.c	kern/sys_generic.c	ufs/ufs_disksubr.c
>	kern/kern_exit.c	kern/sys_process.c	ufs/ufs_inode.c
>	kern/kern_physio.c	kern/tty.c		ufs/ufs_vnops.c
>	kern/kern_sig.c		kern/tty_subr.c
>	kern/kern_synch.c	kern/vfs_syscalls.c

OK, so it was 16, not 13.  And yes, they didn't say that these were
the ones, but I did look at one and saw the similarities.

> Q:  I noticed your signature changed.  Did you get promoted?
> A:  Yes, we now have a full-time president.  Me!
>
>					Rob Kolstad
>					President, BSDI

Well, some things just keep changing.

Greg
finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.1/8.9.1) id CAA10066
	for pups-liszt; Wed, 6 Jan 1999 02:30:57 +1100 (EST)