OK I got this here VAXen thingie.... what is it?

User Rdkeys Robert D. Keys rdkeys at seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Wed Jan 6 01:41:47 AEST 1999

OK, Dummy here stuck his foot in his choppers an' won the bid on that
VAXen for the grand total of eleven buckeroos de realme.  What can I
run with it?  It was just too much fun to pass up, and it drew too many
chuckles from the PC crowd in the surplus warehouse....(:+}}....

Machine:  VAXstation 3500, no consoles or external boxes, only the tower.

Tape Drive:  TK70

Hard Drive:  RA70

Boards:

SLOT     BOARD NUMBER   DESCRIPTION
----     ------------   ----------------------------------------------
1        KA650 -BA
2        MS650 -AA
3        MS650 -AA
4        DELQA -SA
5        VCB02
6        VCB02
7        VCB02
8        CXY08
9        TQK70
10       KDA50
11       KDA50
12       (empty)

What are the above boards, for reference?

What boards are needed to bring up the machine minimally and test it out?

How should one fire it up the first time, without blowing it up?

I am working with the original owner of the beast to see if he may have
a box of odd manuals and hopefully tapes still in storage somewhere.
If not, I am at ground zero with it.

I am assuming it will have to be run headless, via an old VT-52ish
Zenith terminal I have, or a Kermit with VT-100 emulation.  I don't
have the main color monitor for it, or the mouse and keyboard.
What is the pinout of the silly MMJ connector on the CPU?
Will a plain terminal work OK?

What kinds of printer can be hooked up to it, via what protocols?

What is the best way to network it into my local home ethernet coax?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Bob Keys