4.4BSD

Thor Lancelot Simon tls at rek.tjls.com
Tue Jan 26 12:05:12 AEST 1999

On Mon, Jan 25, 1999 at 06:21:38PM -0700, emanuel stiebler wrote:
> Hi all,
> why this version isn't in the pups archive ?
>
> cheers,
> emanuel

It would be nice to have the pre-4.4 (was it 4.4-alpha?) and 4.4BSD
distributions, as shipped by CSRG, in the archive.

What would be even nicer would be the entire system as of the last
time it was touched -- the AT&T-encumbered system which would correspond
to the free 4.4BSD-Lite2 distribution which was the last public output
from CSRG.

Did anyone ever build a distribution of such a system?  Is it feasible
to do so now?  I don't have a firm grasp on which architectures would
actually compile and run as of that point in the SCCS files -- would
VAX, using the old VM system?  I'd assume hp300 would work, since it
was the primary development platform, right?  Had the LBL SPARC port
been integrated?

Thor Lancelot Simon	                                      tls at rek.tjls.com
	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.1/8.9.1) id NAA13220
	for pups-liszt; Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:21:38 +1100 (EST)