Old SunOS Software

rdkeys at unity.ncsu.edu rdkeys at unity.ncsu.edu
Thu Mar 4 01:56:18 AEST 1999

> In article by Robert Harker, 408-295-9432:
> > I just joined the pups-digest mailing list which seemed to be PDP-11
> > oriented.  Is there a different mailing list for the The Unix Heritage
> > Society?
> >
> > And yes, I do have the original SunOS 2.x, 3.x, and 4.x software
> > (and maybe 1.x also). As I tell friends, "There is a Sun 100u in the
> > Smithsonian, but mine is older"

Gee, I have been looking all over the place for some of those bits for
my dinosaur VME crates (sun3/sun4).  Most refreshing to know that they
have not totally vaporized.

> Hi Robert, the name is a legacy thing, feel free to talk about old Suns.
> If you have the old software, and we can clear things with Sun, then
> we could get it added into the archive here.

I heartily agree with Warren on the legacy dinosaurs.  Sadly, there is
not enough PDP-11ish iron to feed the multitudes.  The ancient VAXen
and SUNtoyz are still a good way to play old time historical unix.

> There was a German web site which had Sun's assent to put some old SunOS
> versions up on the web. My email from Robert D. Keys
> <rdkeys at seedlab1.cropsci.ncsu.edu> says:
>
>   Try the http://doener.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/  site, and it is explained
>   there.  The guy actually got Sun to OK it, as far as I know, but
>   I have no idea of the exact legalese involved, but memory tells
>   me it was Sun Germany that gave the go-ahead on it.
>
>   The site may have moved to http://sun3arc.krupp.net, since I was
>   thinking a move was in progress a couple of months back.
>   I think I got to it via a link from www.sunhelp.com or www.sunfreeware.com.

Sun3arc.krupp.net is the current site.  Since Sun Germany gave the go
to put things up there, I wonder if Warren could look into mirroring
that or Sun's allowing us to archive the early 68xxx material, too,
especially if members have the bits available in their personal archives.

> Hope this helps,
>
> 	Warren

Just thinking out loud, but so much is going into the dumpster, that
we need to be thinking in the UHS about the preservation of other
legacy bits, too.  Five or ten more years down the road, and all those
ancient such machines will be historically important unobtainium, too.

Bob Keys