Sun release source code for Solaris 8

Terry Lambert tlambert at primenet.com
Wed Feb 2 11:17:37 AEST 2000

> Also, the white paper on BeOS claims that with all the new advances in
> hardware, modern OS's have too many layers, which they call 'silt', to
> allow them to use the hardware effectively.  They argue that only
> starting from scratch allows full use of modern technology, including
> multimedia advances.  How can FreeBSD keep up?  We don't have kernel
> threading and SMP support is still in the works, and most BSD features
> are 'add-ons'.  Should this be a concern for the future?

Unlike BeOS, FreeBSD is multiuser, and supports the concept of
credentials.  I was asked to do some work porting some things,
including NFS, SMB, NetWare, and filesystem support to BeOS,
but it has an intrinsic lack of a security model, which can not
be easily overcome.  It is not suitable as a server OS.

					Terry Lambert
					terry at lambert.org
---
or previous employers.

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.3/8.9.3) id BAA60331
	for pups-liszt; Thu, 3 Feb 2000 01:17:36 +1100 (EST)