Sun release source code for Solaris 8

Jonathon McKitrick jcm at dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org
Sat Jan 29 00:24:19 AEST 2000

I'm a little concerned where all this leaves FreeBSD.  If Solaris goes
open source, or something similar, and tries to compete with w2k, plus
linux is out there growing, and BeOS will be free soon....  FreeBSD might be a
tough sell.  Several guys i know say the majority of new unix installs
are Linux with few BSD.  They say the only BSD users that are growing
are ISPs.  Does anyone have any stats on how fast we are
growing on the desktop, or in general?

Also, the white paper on BeOS claims that with all the new advances in
hardware, modern OS's have too many layers, which they call 'silt', to
allow them to use the hardware effectively.  They argue that only
starting from scratch allows full use of modern technology, including
multimedia advances.  How can FreeBSD keep up?  We don't have kernel
threading and SMP support is still in the works, and most BSD features
are 'add-ons'.  Should this be a concern for the future?

"Do not taunt the Happy Fun Ball."

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.3/8.9.3) id CAA28648
	for pups-liszt; Sat, 29 Jan 2000 02:11:14 +1100 (EST)