[pups] 2.11 BSD image booting

Steven M. Schultz sms at moe.2bsd.com
Tue Jul 25 13:00:06 AEST 2000

Howdy -

> From: Warren Toomey <wkt at henry.cs.adfa.edu.au>
> In article by Ryan Blair:
> > In the same rut as Andy Valencia:
> > I have tried booting the 2.11 BSD distribution that was in the boot images
> > directory, it has something like 9 disc pack images, and a script to boot it
> > with Supnik. Well, it boots all right, but I can't access most of the
> > filesystem, just the root, and even there most of the files seem corrupt.
>
> I think all the 2.11BSD disk images in Boot_Images are suspect.

	Hmmm, I don't think they're corrupt.

	Wasn't there a similar posting a month or two ago about someone (I
	forget who it was) having "massive corruption".   It turned out that
	the simulator was only told to use 256kb of memory (18bit mode).  Once
	the "set cpu 2048k" command was added to the conf file the problems
	cleared right up.   A good case can be made that it's a bug the system
	doesn't outright crash if it's unhappy with the amount of memory but
	given it's so easy to 'add memory' to the system I can't work up any
	enthusiasm to track down and fix the problem ;)

> I wonder if we could prevail upon Steven Schultz (or someone)
> to build some 2.11BSD disk images which would be suitable for the
> Supnik and Ersatz emulators.

	Well, one could take the tape images that are in the archive and
	run the suitable tape preparation program ('makesimtape' for Supnik's
	simulator and I think makesimtape.c is around in the archive as well).
	Might need a "toggle in" boot for that (it's in the 2.11 setup and
	installation guide) though since I do not recall the Supnik simulator
	knowing how to boot from tape.

	Try putting "set cpu 2048k" (I don't _think_ you need both "set cpu
	22b" and "set cpu 2048k" but having both doesn't hurt and may help).

	Steven Schultz
	sms at moe.2bsd.com

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.3/8.9.3) id NAA72598
	for pups-liszt; Tue, 25 Jul 2000 13:29:21 +1000 (EST)
	(envelope-from owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au)