[pups] Getting a MicroPDP-11 Running

maximum entropy entropy at zippy.bernstein.com
Tue Jul 25 14:16:09 AEST 2000

>Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 20:18:29 -0700 (PDT)
>From: "Steven M. Schultz" <sms at moe.2bsd.com>
>
>> From: Jeremy Bingham <jeremy at mail.flyingcroc.net>
>> [...]
>> 3.) Are there any utilities, either DOS or UNIX/Linux/FreeBSD based, to write
>> and/or format RX50 floppies?
>
>	Hmmm, I thought John Wilson has some utilities that could do that.
>	Normally you need to buy preformatted RX50 disks or have a DEC Rainbow
>	(DOS) system around.
>
>	On the other hand if the controller is an RQDX3 it is possible with
>	some luck (and more hardware skill than I have ;)) hook up a standard
>	5.25" Teac floppy drive.   I don't have the location of the info for
>	that at hand - you might try the alt.sys.pdp11 or vmsnet.pdp-11
>	newsgroups (lots of knowing folks hang out there).

http://vaxarchive.org/hw/rx50.html
...contains a good FAQ with some useful links, including a link to
John Wilson's stuff at DBIT.

I'm also appending here a file with some informative messages on the
subject.  I had this file stored away with a bunch of Venix images for
the Pro.  I don't remember if this file (RX50.notes) came with the
Venix stuff, or if I collected them together myself.  I'm pretty sure
it's the former, but I couldn't find any links to it by searching the
net.  Anyway, here it is...

> [...]
>
>Thus, the descendent disk is actually *better* than the original.  I can now
>therefore distribute diskettes in the intended format for working-copy usage
>of the best effort of each diskette :-).
>
>Additionally, if I modify distribution diskettes to be in their intended
>format instead of their original stock format (virtually all diskettes that
>need to be distributed are in stock RX50 format, because the need to create
>optimal diskette layout is generally newer than the software; indeed, this
>entire effort is to distribute software that performs *better* than the
>original!), then the master disks should be copied with Teledisk to create
>perfect copies in one step.
>
>There are additional advantages:
>
>Teledisk can also create an MS-DOS file that is the image of the diskette
>in either a rudimentary-compressed or advanced-compressed form.  These files
>can be transmitted down the net and then reconstructed on PC-AT's for use
>on RX50 targets.  Since they are compressed, this minimizes the overhead
>as well, etc.
>
>So, Teledisk has made my day :-).
>
>cjl
>
>From barry at chezmoto.ai.mit.edu Wed Aug  5 10:12:06 1992
>From: barry at chezmoto.ai.mit.edu (Barry Kort)
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec.micro
>Subject: Re: reading rainbow disks on a '386 PC
>Date: 4 Aug 92 12:13:30 GMT
>
>Charles,
>
>You can retreive rt11.zip by anonymous ftp from
>newton.canterbury.ac.nz, 132.181.40.1, in the pub/local directory.
>
>Barry
>
>From lasner at watsun.cc.columbia.edu Wed Aug  5 10:12:14 1992
>From: lasner at watsun.cc.columbia.edu (Charles Lasner)
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.dec.micro
>Subject: Re: reading rainbow disks on a '386 PC
>Date: 4 Aug 92 18:41:23 GMT
>
>In article <BARRY.92Aug4081330 at chezmoto.ai.mit.edu>
>arry at chezmoto.ai.mit.edu (Barry Kort) writes:
>
>>Charles,
>
>>You can retreive rt11.zip by anonymous ftp from
>>newton.canterbury.ac.nz, 132.181.40.1, in the pub/local directory.
>
>>Barry
>
>Got it.  It looks nice.  It produces what appears to be a nice RT-11-like
>environment on a PC for file transfers, etc., but is inferior to Teledisk
>for the purpose of making a compacted image of an entire disk as a DOS
>file.  Since this is a frill, it can be completely overlooked :-).
>
>And yes, it does Format DD-type media to stock RX50 as advertised.  I will
>only take you to task on the minor point: it doesn't require RX50DRVR at all.
>There was a little confusion as to whether they were tied together, which is
>not the case.
>
>This program is written in Turbo Pascal.  It would seem that someone who
>can understand enough TP and the quirky code to call BIOS routines should
>incorporate some of RT11.PAS into FDFORMAT (also a TP-based item) since
>the format routine works fine while FDFORMAT does not for RX50 as discussed

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.3/8.9.3) id TAA74088
	for pups-liszt; Tue, 25 Jul 2000 19:05:40 +1000 (EST)
	(envelope-from owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au)