4.3BSD-Reno install on MicroVAX II

Michael Sokolov msokolov at ivan.Harhan.ORG
Wed Jun 7 03:19:48 AEST 2000

jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de wrote:

> Ahhh! Why is there no note in the distribution directory?

OK, I'll add one.

> Ehhh? And where to get the code? Why is there no hint to it on the web
> page? Distributions/4bsd/components/compress.tar ???

Yes.

> The Web-Page says: "The strong compression code is available as a
> separate package in the BSD distribution archive (it is itself
> uncompressed)."

Hmm, I thought this was enough info for folks to figure out that
components/compress.tar is the right tarball...

> But the Distributions/4bsd/4.3BSD-Quasijarus0a directory
> does not contain it.

It's in the components directory, as opposed to the tape distribution directory
for any particular release, because it's a grabbed-out BSD component that can
be used with any release. The tape distribution directories have exactly what
goes on the tape in the format it goes there, nothing more, nothing less.

> > 4.3BSD-Quasijarus is more original CSRG than 4.3BSD-Reno. Reno doesn't follow
> > the True UNIX line of V1 thru V7 thru 4.3BSD, Quasijarus does.
> [...]
> Is there some documentation available about this?

I have something along these lines on the front page of the Quasijarus project.
But sure, I should elaborate. I will when I respond to Warren's PUPS/TUHS reorg
thing, which I'm still procrastinating on. :-)

--
Michael Sokolov		Harhan Engineering Laboratory
Public Service Agent	International Free Computing Task Force

Phone: +1-214-824-7693 (Harhan Eng Lab office)
E-mail: msokolov at ivan.Harhan.ORG (ARPA TCP/SMTP) (UUCP coming soon)

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.3/8.9.3) id EAA16405
	for pups-liszt; Wed, 7 Jun 2000 04:39:39 +1000 (EST)
	(envelope-from owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au)