unix precursors

A. P. Garcia apgarcia at hackaholic.org
Thu Jun 8 07:58:58 AEST 2000

I know that www.multicians.org is a nice web site devoted to Multics,
but does anyone know where I can learn more about other precursors to
unix?

Thompson mentions that unix borrows heavily from CTSS.  I think that
Corbato wrote a book on this system, but that book seems nearly as
rare as chicken teeth.  I think he also wrote an earlier journal
article on the system, which I imagine shouldn't be hard to locate.

Finally, Thompson also mentions that fork() basically existed in its
current form in the Berkeley Timesharing System.  That is the one and
only thing I have ever heard about this system.  Anyone know where I
can learn more?

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.3/8.9.3) id IAA23424
	for pups-liszt; Thu, 8 Jun 2000 08:16:53 +1000 (EST)
	(envelope-from owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au)