PUPS/TUHS should not be divisive

Mike Allison mallison at konnections.com
Sun Jun 18 02:05:01 AEST 2000

I think I understand what Michael is saying.  Or at least it means something
to me.

I don't have a lot vested here, nor have I always followed the issues with
PUPS and now TUHS.

Certainly a big part of this was running AT&T UNIX systems on these
machines.  And, TUHS might only ever be about UNIX as UNIX (R).

The fact that you COULD run a unix clone -- Linux, Open BSD, what have you
is fine.  We can argue that true BSD was a set of improvements or additions
to UNIX which may even have been sanctioned in part by the UNIX team.  But
the fact that you run Linux, Open BSD, MINIX or a MSDOS clone is not
pertinent to running UNIX System N.n

Using the GNU C Compiler is not pertinent to the AT&T K&R C compiler, per
se.

Is the ultimate purpose then of the list to keep the machines running
regardless of OS, or to run AT&T UNIX on these systems.

I won't fault Michael for his perspective.  But I guess we should agree to
define the parameters of the list, or agree NOT to define them.

Just one insignificant soul's opinion (JOISO)

-Mike

Mike Allison
Stranded in Utah, USA