PUPS/TUHS should not be divisive

Markus Leypold leypold at informatik.uni-tuebingen.de
Mon Jun 19 18:58:21 AEST 2000

 > From: "Mike Allison" <mallison at konnections.com>
 > Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 10:05:01 -0600
 > Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au
 >
 > I think I understand what Michael is saying.  Or at least it means something
 > to me.
 >
 > I don't have a lot vested here, nor have I always followed the issues with
 > PUPS and now TUHS.
 >
 > Certainly a big part of this was running AT&T UNIX systems on these
 > machines.  And, TUHS might only ever be about UNIX as UNIX (R).

Well, the demarcation lines are not wuite clearly drawn. Only
yesterday my eyes fell on a paragraph in Peter Salus Book: 4.xBSD
brought ... improvments ... also a port to the Intel 386/486
Architecture by Bill Jolitz. Well, 386BSD became FreeBSD and it's
offspring.

Why can't we just stay on big family ? Of course FreeBSD has it's
archives elsewhere, but still no reason to divide instead of unite ?

 > The fact that you COULD run a unix clone -- Linux, Open BSD, what have you
 > is fine.  We can argue that true BSD was a set of improvements or additions
 > to UNIX which may even have been sanctioned in part by the UNIX team.  But
 > the fact that you run Linux, Open BSD, MINIX or a MSDOS clone is not
 > pertinent to running UNIX System N.n
 >
 > Using the GNU C Compiler is not pertinent to the AT&T K&R C compiler, per
 > se.
 >
 > Is the ultimate purpose then of the list to keep the machines running
 > regardless of OS, or to run AT&T UNIX on these systems.
 >
 > I won't fault Michael for his perspective.  But I guess we should agree to
 > define the parameters of the list, or agree NOT to define them.

Well, not to be disprespectful to honorable members of the community
certainly should be a parameter :-)

It makes me sad to see all this.

Regards -- Markus

 > Just one insignificant soul's opinion (JOISO)
 >
 > -Mike
 >
 > Mike Allison
 > Stranded in Utah, USA

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.3/8.9.3) id TAA04261
	for pups-liszt; Mon, 19 Jun 2000 19:02:46 +1000 (EST)
	(envelope-from owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au)