PUPS/TUHS should not be divisive

Thor Lancelot Simon tls at rek.tjls.com
Mon Jun 19 21:19:11 AEST 2000

On Mon, Jun 19, 2000 at 10:58:21AM +0200, Markus Leypold wrote:

>  > From: "Mike Allison" <mallison at konnections.com>
>  > Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 10:05:01 -0600
>  > Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au
>  >
>  > I think I understand what Michael is saying.  Or at least it means something
>  > to me.
>  >
>  > I don't have a lot vested here, nor have I always followed the issues with
>  > PUPS and now TUHS.
>  >
>  > Certainly a big part of this was running AT&T UNIX systems on these
>  > machines.  And, TUHS might only ever be about UNIX as UNIX (R).
>
> Well, the demarcation lines are not wuite clearly drawn. Only
> yesterday my eyes fell on a paragraph in Peter Salus Book: 4.xBSD
> brought ... improvments ... also a port to the Intel 386/486
> Architecture by Bill Jolitz. Well, 386BSD became FreeBSD and it's
> offspring.

For those trying to keep track of the exact Unix history graph,
it should be noted that the above history isn't quite right.

Jolitz' original 386 port was partially done for CSRG and partially
done for what became BSDI.  A somewhat infamous falling-out during
Usenix resulted in Jolitz *redoing* his 386 port and releasing it
as 386BSD shortly after BSDI released BSD/386.

BSD/386 0.0 was released, then 0.1.  Jolitz kept saying things
about "0.2" but it began to become clear to most people that it
wouldn't be released soon, if ever.  A semi-official "patchkit"
sprung up, and soon most people were running 386BSD 0.1 plus
patchkit X.

Meanwhile, Adam Glass and Chris Demetriou and, soon, a small
number of others, started work on what became NetBSD, a centrally
managed free software project that sought to bring some CSRG-like
focus to the 386BSD chaos.  An early snapshot of this made its
way to the patchkit folks, who declined for various reasons to
participate.  NetBSD 0.8 was released, and a little bit later
the patchkit maintainers (mostly) released FreeBSD.  Though there
was new work -- and would eventually be a *lot* of new work --
there was also clearly a lot of code that came not from 386BSD
or the patchkits but from that pre-0.8 NetBSD snapshot.  Since
these facts are pretty well known among the principals involved
it's always been a mystery to me why Unix history graphs seem
to get the later wiggles in the xBSD line all wrong.

Thor

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.3/8.9.3) id WAA05220
	for pups-liszt; Mon, 19 Jun 2000 22:41:55 +1000 (EST)
	(envelope-from owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au)