[pups] How to arrange bootable media for 2.11BSD?

Martijn van Buul pino at dohd.org
Wed Oct 11 04:36:31 AEST 2000

*whoops*.

I've been mailing personal replies, instead of replies to the list. Too much
relying on procmail, I suppose.

Steven M. Schultz wrote:

> 	It is an 11/53 or better (73, 83, 93)?   There were numerous "MicroPDP"
> 	systems made but some of them were 11/23 or 23+ and those will not
> 	run 2.11BSD

It's a 11/53+ (aka: 1.5 MB RAM), which *should* be able to run 2.11BSD.

> 	What OS did you manage to get Kermit running under?

Micro/RSX

>	I do not believe Kermit itself can handle the multiple block sizes used
>	when writing the files that make up the "boot tape".   Do you have any
>	development facilities on the currently running system?   If so then it
>	might be possible to write a program to create a tape from the files
>	brought over via kermit.

There is a Macro-assembler, and reportedly a PASCAL compiler. However, my
Micro/RSX skills (let alone -programming skills) should be considered
rudimentary - the only resource I have is the on-line helpfile (which isn't
very clear every now and then).

> 	If you've a PC with a 5.25" drive and the ability to do image copies
> 	to it ('dd' on a *BSD* or Linux system) that might be one way to
> 	get 2.11 over to the MicroPDP.    A single RX33 can easily hold the
> 	standalone programs (boot, disklabel, restore, mkfs, icheck) and
> 	it only takes 3 or 4 RX33 disks to hold a root filesystem dump.

The "RX33" is working (that's how I was able to low-level format two
MFM disks, and how I got Kermit running). And yes, I have a Minix-VMD box
with a 5.25" HD drive.

For the sake of completeness, I'll include the currently available
hardware:

KJD11-D/S   (processor), DZQ11, TK50, RQDX3 with one RD32A, a third-party
21MB MFM disk (ST225, RD33? 31? Something like that), a second 21MB
MFM disk standing by (A microscribe of some sort), a 5.25" PC floppy
drive shoe-horned into a RX33, and a DELQA card.

(Well, that's what I have installed right now. I do have some other cards,
 including a DRV11-J "Hi-density parallell line unit" and some strange
 VG-Electronics cards (which they claim are specific to surface analysis))

And a spare TK50 mechanic..

--
    Martijn van Buul -  Pino at dohd.org - http://www.stack.nl/~martijnb/
	 Geek code: G--  - Visit OuterSpace: mud.stack.nl 3333

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.3/8.9.3) id JAA89483
	for pups-liszt; Wed, 11 Oct 2000 09:01:31 +1100 (EST)
	(envelope-from owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au)