[pups] What hard drives to look for for PDP-11 use?

jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Fri Oct 13 09:44:38 AEST 2000

On 12 Oct, rdkeys at unity.ncsu.edu wrote:

> On the ESDI drives, has anyone tried the IBM things from Model 60
> and Model 80 machines?
I am using Micropolis 1654-7 (150MB), 1664-7 (320MB) and Maxtor XT4380
(350MB) ESDI drives from PCs and Apollo Domain DN3X00 Machines with a
Dilog DQ686 QBus MSCP controller. Last week I salvaged a XT4780 (~700MB)
but did not have the time to test it. I had no problems using this
disks. After reformating them with the controller on board diag they
worked well in my MicroVAX II. I expect no problems with it when I
convert the VAX to a PDP11/23.
The problem with some IBM PS/2 ESDI drives is the proprietary
connector, that combinates signal and power lines in one connector.
I don't know if they are usable with a normal ESDI controller. On the
other hand: In my PS/2 80 is the same Maxtor XT4380 like the one from
Apollo I am using with the Dilog.
--

tschüß,
         Jochen