[pups] Re: RL and RK Last Cylinder Warning (RE: VTServer)

Warren Toomey wkt at henry.cs.adfa.edu.au
Wed Apr 4 13:04:10 AEST 2001

In article by Jay Jaeger:
> Something I thought is worth warning folks about.  For RL01, RL02, RK06 and
> RK07 (at least), the last cylinder is RESERVED for bad blocks and the pack
> serial number.

Jay, I've added your warnings to the new version, vtserver2.3a-20010404.tar.gz,
which I just put out a few seconds ago. This also contains a patch to the
ODT download code from Charles H Dickman <chd_1 at nktelco.net>:

	I made some changes to the source to wait for the current memory
	value and trailing space to be echoed by ODT. I also had a bit
	of trouble if the output values were not padded with 0's. I think
	this is because any character other than a valid octal digit or
	a return or a ctrl-j is illegal in that context and causes an error.

ftp://minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au/pub/PDP-11/Vtserver/vtserver2.3a-20010404.tar.gz

> (PS:  FYI I am currently working on a flavor of the "vt" driver that will
> work over a DR11C.  With the proper cabling (it takes different cables for
> input and output) you can manage over 1MB per minute that way -- about 20
> times faster than a serial port.  The code is pretty simple and should work
> on any old "plain jane" parallel port.  (I do not know how it would behave
> on a modern serial port)).
>
> I had this working a long time ago, and VTServer prompted me to dredge it
> up again and test it.  It still works with my PIII 350 under Win98 (it is
> old DOS code that accesses the old style parallel port directly).  Within a
> few weeks I expect to provide a "pt" device driver for pdpvtstand, and
> cabling information and some source code for the PC side (which would be an
> example only).  The protocol as I currently use it has no
> checksum.  However I plan to modify "copy" to provide that information so
> that the results can be checked after the transfer.
> Jay Jaeger

Jay, if you could write a ptboot.s bootstrapper and a pt.c driver
which speaks the same protocol [should be easy - just use vt.c and
rewrite vtgetc() and vtputc()], then I'll happily add it to the
next version.

Cheers,
	Warren

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.3/8.9.3) id KAA33889
	for pups-liszt; Thu, 5 Apr 2001 10:11:17 +1000 (EST)
	(envelope-from owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au)