[pups] Making disk images and Ultrix-32

Warren Toomey wkt at henry.cs.adfa.edu.au
Sat Feb 17 06:54:45 AEST 2001

In article by Bill Gunshannon:
> Two questions/observations.
>
> The first is only tangentially on topic, but loosely related to
> my recent attempts to revive Ultrix-11.  Is there anywhere that
> is, or is interested in, archiving versions of Ultrix-32 for the
> VAX??  I would hate to see these become as scarce as Ultrix-11
> was.  We almost lost that one.  I have numerous TK50's of Ultrix-32
> software some of which actually loads.

Ultrix-32 isn't covered by the SCO license (well, they didn't create it),
and we haven't obtained a release from DEC/Compaq, unlike Ultrix-11. So
while hidden away in the Archive are various versions of Ultrix-32, I
cannot make them available.

Does anybody have contacts inside Compaq so we could persue a release?

> How does one go about creating a .dsk image from a real device??

Use dd in single-user mode and dump it to a tape :-) That's all.

> And on a further note, if I made a .dsk of the
> RA81 I currently have Ultrix-11 running from, are there any of the
> emulators that would be able to use this??  If so, I would be glad
> to clean it up and send it to Warren for the archive.
> bill

Yes please!

	Warren

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.3/8.9.3) id HAA64906
	for pups-liszt; Sat, 17 Feb 2001 07:57:05 +1100 (EST)
	(envelope-from owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au)