[pups] Stray Interupts

Bill Gunshannon bill at cs.scranton.edu
Fri Feb 23 23:43:41 AEST 2001

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Steven M. Schultz wrote:

> 	The "big disk" support ('rp') was done though by Bob without access
> 	to a real honest to DEC RP11 controller.  I think he looked at various
> 	driver sources and perhaps at 2.11's "xp" driver (I vaguely recall
> 	sending him the xp.c and necessary include files).

Does Bob (or anybody for that matter) still maintain the emulator??
Maybe the Ultrix source would be a help in better understanding some
of the internals of the hardware.

> > compare them and see why Ultrix sees all these stray interupts that
> > no one else sees.
>
> 	Various things suggest themself to me: It might just be that Ultrix is
> 	overly picky, there's something not 100% accurate in the simulator's
> 	delivering interrupts or Ultrix-11 has a bug.

My experience with Ultrix-11 up to this point would lead me to believe
that it isn't bugs, but I can easily accept that it is overly picky.
That's why I thought the sources might be a big help in tuning the
emulator.

> 	I haven't heard of RT-11 having a problem - perhaps someone could
> 	try that and see what happens.

I tried RSTS.  As a matter of fact, I used DSKINT to create my empty
RP06 images.  No sogn of a problem there.

> 	The other thing you might try is the Begemot emulator "p11".  It
> 	keeps _vastly_ better time than 'sim_2.3d' and has an emulated DEQNA

I am using 2.5a of the Supnik emulator.

> 	so the machine can be placed on a network.  P11's also quite a bit
> 	more efficient/fast.   Configuration can be puzzling but sample
> 	config files are available (from various PUPS folks who run P11).

I would love to us the Begemot emulator.  I have the latest version but
I have been unable to get any of my disk images to work.  Can anyone
tell me if you can use the disk images from the other emulators and if
so, how??  Do they have to be converted somehow like tapes??

bill

bill at cs.scranton.edu     |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.3/8.9.3) id CAA14986
	for pups-liszt; Sat, 24 Feb 2001 02:03:06 +1100 (EST)
	(envelope-from owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au)