[pups] 2.11BSD boot hangs.

Carl Lowenstein cdl at mpl.ucsd.edu
Wed Feb 28 04:27:56 AEST 2001

> From owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au Mon Feb 26 13:32 PST 2001
> From: jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
> Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 22:15:52 +0100 (CET)
> Subject: Re: [pups] 2.11BSD boot hangs.
> To: sms at moe.2bsd.com
> cc: pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au
>
> >> System configuration:
> >> 11/73 (M8192), one with FP accel. or one without. (Jumpers W1..W6 in,
> >> W7..W9 out, so that the CPU enters ODT at power up.)
> >
> > 	There is a jumper (I forget which one) that enables/disables the
> > 	'halt' instruction.
> BINGO! Pulling W5 solved the problem. But then I seted it again to
> double check. (I changed location today and took only the cards and
> disk with me.) In the "new" BA23 the system runs even with the W5
> jumper installed. Then I noticed the different setting of the front
> panel DIP swich. The upper switch is off and the lower on. The switches
> of the other cabinet are both on. If I boot the machine with W5
> installed and the upper switch on it hangs. It continues to run
> immediately if it is switched off. What is the purpose of this
> switches?

Quote from _Microcomputer Products Handbook_ EB26078 41/85 (DEC)

"Control Panel
  . . .
The 2-position linetime clock (LTC) switch (switch 1) is used to enable
or disable the LTC function.  Setting switch 1 ON enables the LTC to
function under software control.  Setting switch 1 to the OFF position
disables the LTC function.  The other 2-position switch (switch 2) is
not used."

Note (by me) this refers to microPDP usage of the BA23.  The LTC is not
used by the microVAX which could occupy the same box.

    carl