[pups] re: PDP-9

Frank Wortner frank at wortner.com
Thu Aug 22 12:06:38 AEST 2002

on 8/21/02 5:21 AM, Johnny Billquist at bqt at update.uu.se wrote:

> About as I suspected then.
> Interesting to hear that the grade of compatibility was that high. I've
> neved had the chance to play with any 18-bitters.

You can indulge in 18-bit nostalgia courtesy of Bob Supnik.  His Computer
History Simulation Project includes simulators for the DEC 18-bit computer
line.  Check out http://simh.trailing-edge.com/ if you are interested.

Unfortunately,  there isn't much surviving software for these machines.  The
site does include a PDP-7 based simulator of the PDP-8(!),  and the
"Advanced Software System" OS for the PDP-15 (which I believe will also run
on the PDP-9).

Bob's wish list includes a plea for DECsys and the First through Fourth
Editions of Unix,  but unless someone unearths a cache somewhere,  these may
be lost to history.  Too bad. :-(

--
Frank

"It's snowing still.  *And* freezing.  However,  we haven't had an
earthquake recently."
* Eeyore,  "The House at Pooh Corner"