[pups] Re: Missing 1st to 4th Editions

Warren Toomey wkt at minnie.tuhs.org
Thu Aug 22 12:47:05 AEST 2002

In article by Frank Wortner:
> Bob's wish list includes a plea for DECsys and the First through Fourth
> Editions of Unix,  but unless someone unearths a cache somewhere,  these may
> be lost to history.  Too bad. :-(
> Frank

A 3rd Edition kernel (ok, nearly 4th Edition) still survives at:
http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/PDP-11/Distributions/research/Dennis_v3/

We don't have any 3rd Edition application. However, the kernel can be
tweaked to understand the 5th Edition filesystem layout, and we have
been able to boot this kernel and run some 5th Edition programs on it.
Of course, the pipe system call is missing :-)

	Warren