[TUHS] Re: non-broken 4.3BSD set?

Michael Sokolov msokolov at ivan.Harhan.ORG
Fri Dec 13 15:43:18 AEST 2002

Robertdkeys at aol.com wrote:

> I am wondering if
> a dd image of a working few start blocks on a
> disk could be copied over to a raw formatted
> disk from the tape copy, before the miniroot
> went on, as part of the boot/install process?

This should work.

> Michael, what are your thoughts on setting up
> the disks, reasonably?

Well, every time I need to do this, I do some history reenactment, as this is
how Quasijarus Project was originally bootstrapped. I first install Ultrix on
the VAX, then write a Tahoe/Quasijarus disk label to the boot disk (by
compiling disklabel under Ultrix), and then do the normal 4.3-QJ0a install, at
which point the standalone system sees the label and is happy.

MS