[pups] PDP11-23

Bill Gunshannon bill at cs.scranton.edu
Sun Feb 17 01:46:22 AEST 2002

On Sat, 16 Feb 2002, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> > Is it possible to copy the program and run it on a Windows/Dos based machine.
>
> Not as such. However, there do exist PDP-11 emulators for the PC, which
> means you could copy the whole operating system, and everything else
> associated (I hope you don't have any special hardware though) it should
> be runnable. Look a e11 (http://www.dbit.com) for such a system.
> Another option is a PDP-11 system on a card that you put into your PC,
> made by Strobe Data (http://www.strobe.com).

Actually, I think he was thinking of the application rather than the
whole system.  Was there ever a DIBOL compiler for the PC??  Was there
ever a DIBOL compiler for any non-DEC systems??  Would it be possible
(and maybe even fun) to either write a DIBOL to C translater (like p2c
or f2c) or even a DIBOL front end to GCC??  Would there be any interest
in having DIBOL available again??

I think the above questions should easily show that even though I have
the DIBOL manual and probably even have a copy of the compiler on a tape
somewhere, I have never used or even looked at the language.  I have,
however, heard a lot of comments praising it.

bill

bill at cs.scranton.edu     |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |