[pups] Problems booting PDP11/40 using vtserver

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Wed Jan 30 02:38:49 AEST 2002

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, Michael Werner wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have my PDP11/40 connected to a MicroVAX 2 (running NetBSD/vax
> 1.5.2) via serial line and want to boot a 2.9BSD or 2.11BSD using the
> vtserver software.
> When I toggle in vtserver's boot code, the first file is being loaded
> correctly by the PDP. Then, following the instructions in vtserver
> documentation, the serial line should be used as a serial console - and
> some text should appear! And this is the problem: I don't get any output.

Aha! So the first file gets transferred correctly?
Then your problem is totally withing that transferred file. My guess is
that it don't know your hardware well enough.

Does your machine have EIS? Does the code expect EIS to exist? How about
22-bit mode? I/D space?
FP perhaps?

There are a lot of potential problems...

> When manually sending characters from the PDP, there is no problem.

So? If you even manage to get the first file accress, the problem isn't
anything with your communication link.

	Johnny

email: bqt at update.uu.se           ||  Reading murder books