[TUHS] So now that the source is finally out...

M. Warner Losh imp at village.org
Fri Jan 25 20:27:25 AEST 2002

In message: <20020125094218.C5968 at apple.ukc.ac.uk>
            "P.A.Osborne" <P.A.Osborne at ukc.ac.uk> writes:
: Also from what I did look at,  I rapidly came to the conclusion that
: a "real" mode i386 port was the more straight forward as that keeps
: everything in 16 bits and saves a lot of mucking around.

Real as in 286 or as in 8088 :-).  I've love to have a v7 port to my
DEC Rainbow 100, which isn't too IBM-PC-like other than the fact that
both have an 8088.  There was a 8088 port of V7 (or maybe it was v6)
to the Rainbow marketed under the name of venix, but no one seems to
be able to find a distribution anymore.

: With any joy if the assembler level can be done correctly (device drivers
: aside) you could theoretically leave the bulk of the C source intact - which
: could possibly make it a purer port, assuming you can get gcc to compile
: K&R C - I havent tried yet.

gcc can compile K&R, but the language has evolved some since the v7
days.  =*, =+, etc became *=, +=, etc.  There are some other subtle
things too that I don't recall off the top of my head, but which vexed
the comp.lang.c news groups in the early 1980's.

Warner