[TUHS] So now that the source is finally out...

P.A.Osborne P.A.Osborne at ukc.ac.uk
Fri Jan 25 21:16:37 AEST 2002

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 03:27:25AM -0700, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> Real as in 286 or as in 8088 :-).

Yup,  otherwise you start mucking around with the protected mode
shuffle to 32 bits and I have been burnt by that before.  The ix86
chips are startup from cold in 16bit mode so it makes life easier.

> I've love to have a v7 port to my
> DEC Rainbow 100, which isn't too IBM-PC-like other than the fact that
> both have an 8088.  There was a 8088 port of V7 (or maybe it was v6)
> to the Rainbow marketed under the name of venix, but no one seems to
> be able to find a distribution anymore.

Oooh that would be so usefull and save so much mucking around.

> gcc can compile K&R, but the language has evolved some since the v7
> days.  =*, =+, etc became *=, +=, etc.  There are some other subtle
> things too that I don't recall off the top of my head, but which vexed
> the comp.lang.c news groups in the early 1980's.

That makes things a challenge.  Still the source of the kernel is
around 10K lines IIRC and going through it in stages doesnt make life
too painfull.

I must be mad thinking about this again....

paul