[TUHS] Re: Porting Unix v6 to i386

Grant Maizels grant.maizels at cogita.com.au
Thu Jan 31 09:51:44 AEST 2002

Actually I have 8086 C compilers on my old Altos systems (486 and 586)
running Xenix.
The OS on the 486 is a very early version of Xenix which is really a
slightly modified version of v7.

If the machine still works (has not been turned on for a few years), I may
be able to set it up so that it can be accessed through a terminal server
off the internet so that it can be used to do compiles.

I think that Microsoft may own the copyrights on these old compilers (not
sure), but it would be nice if the source was publicy available (or even
binaries).

If the machine still works (has not been turned on for a few years), I may
be able to set it up so that it can be accessed through a terminal server
off the internet so that it can be used to do compiles.

The 486 with v7 has an 8086, 512k memory, 12Meg hard disk. With the full V7
OS, including c (lex, yacc, ...) , troff, and some Microsoft add-ons
(fortran, cobol, mutimate??) fits in 7 Meg.

Grant Maizles

P.S. The 486 and 586 names refer to the number of supported users which the
machine can handle and the fact that it has a 8086 CPU. The configs were

486 5 Serial ports (1 for a printer)
586 6 Serial ports

I had a customer with a 986 which had 10 serial ports.