[TUHS] Some tapes

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Fri May 3 14:18:17 AEST 2002

On Thursday,  2 May 2002 at 23:51:40 -0400, Kevin Schoedel wrote:
> I've just obtained a box of tapes, some of which might be of interest here.
>
> - UNIX/32V V1.0 (w/ typed Bell Labs label): one 2400' 800bpi tape
> - Ultrix-32M V1.1 distribution: one 2400' dump tape
> - Ultrix-32 & 32M V1.1 Sources: two 2400' 1600bpi tar tapes (2 copies each)
> - BSD4.1 distribution: one 2400' 1600bpi tape
> - UNIX V5 (handwritten label dated Feb 7 1977): one 2400' tape

Yes!  Do you know if it's source or object?

> - one 400' tape with missing identification label but a typed Bell
>   Labs notice
> - backup of 2 RKs: V6 UNIX master and V6 UNIX additional source:
>   one 400' 800bpi tape
> - C Release 29/9/80 (handwritten): one 2400' tape
> - several backup tapes from a V7 system
> - several other tapes that appear to be other UNIX system backups
>
> I don't have a 9-track drive, so I can't say that these will be readable (or
> even that they haven't been bulk-erased), but I do believe that they have at
> least been stored well so far. If any of these look like they could contain
> things currently missing from the archives, then I do of course want to make
> them available to someone who can try to read them.

This is excellent news.  So far, nobody has been able to find sources
for the fourth or fifth editions, so that one tape would be excellent
if it's readable.  I'm sure that people close to you (US east coast)
will make themselves known.

Greg
--
Finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key