[TUHS] Some tapes

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Fri May 3 21:13:31 AEST 2002

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 08:02:47PM +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:

> For most of the 4BSD releases, Kirk's CSRG 4-CD set unfortunately only
> has source files: no binaries, no boot records, no bootable tape images.
> This does make it hard to resurrect these systems on original hardware
> or simulators.
Yes. And if there are binaries, like for 4.4BSD-Lite, they are on
the ISO file system, not in tar archives. So many file system attributes
like links are lost, device nodes are plain files, ...
I made 4.4BSD-Lite working on my HP9000 433t, but it was a bit
complicated, required a netbooted NetBSD, problems with disklabel
differences 4.4BSD <=> NetBSD, ... It works now (more or less)
and when I have the time I work on a build to update the machine
to the final 4.4BSD-Lite2.
e.g. 4.3BSD-Reno binaries for HP9000 300 would be fine. VAX binaries
are already in the archive. With that you can put a VAX and a HP300
side by side and see and feel the the difference from architecture
to architecture. The same for 4.4BSD on HP300, SPARC, PMAX, ...
Or some 4.[012]BSD on a VAX 11/7[35]0. Are you willing to rebuild
the world on a 0.3 / 0.6 VUP machine with <= 2MB RAM?
--

tschüß,
         Jochen