[pups] 2.11BSD networking on simh

Andru Luvisi luvisi at andru.sonoma.edu
Thu Nov 28 11:19:53 AEST 2002

I have gotten 2.11 installed on simh, I have it recognizing the simulated
ethernet card, and everything appears correct except the packets just
aren't getting in and out.  The simh documentation says that the DELQA
card is better than the DEQNA, but I was unable to get the DELQA (qt)
driver to recognize the card.  When I compiled the kernel to use the DEQNA
(qe) driver and set the card up in DEQNA mode, the emulated card and its
ethernet address were correctly detected.

I have configured 2.11BSD with:
  A valid IP address on the network the host is on.
  The same netmask, broadcast, and gateway as the host.

I am running the emulator as root.

I have attached the DEQNA to the appropriate ethernet card.  I can see the
ethernet card go into promiscuous mode when I start the emulator.

I have tested it with SANITY=ON and SANITY=OFF.

The docs say you won't be able to talk between the host and the emulated
machine, so my test for each configuration has been pinging the gateway,
which I know responds to pings since I can ping it from the host.

I have been over both the 2.11BSD docs and the simh docs several times and
as far as I can tell I am doing everything correctly.  I would appreciate
any hints that any of you can offer.

Thanks,
Andru

Quote Of The Moment:
  Appel's method avoids making a large number of small trampoline bounces
  by occasionally jumping off the Empire State Building.
                  -- Henry G. Baker, "Cheney on the M.T.A."