[pups] 2.11BSD networking on simh

Andru Luvisi luvisi at andru.sonoma.edu
Thu Nov 28 17:20:28 AEST 2002

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, Gregg C Levine wrote:
> Hello from Gregg C Levine
> I've been trying to get that notion to work, since it was announced.
> Can you post an explanation, regarding how you constructed your 2.11
> setup? Was it built from disk dumps, or from one of the previously
> built, and stored collections, on the Minnie, file server?

I used the files from PDP-11/Distributions/ucb/2.11BSD/ in the collection
and built a tape image using a short perl script which I attached as
"mktap.pl".  I got the file format from the comments in the "mtdump"
program from the "simtools.zip" archive (on simh.trailing-edge.com), and
how to put the files onto the tape from the HOWTO file in the 2.11BSD
directory.  From there I pretty much just followed the HOWTO.

The system is mostly functional.  fsck still complains about a file that
it creates.  I stuck it all in one 128 meg file system, so I'm thinking of
making another disk and file system just to stick the fsck temporary file
on during boot.

> Also, a
> posting of the startup script would be nice, along with what you are
> running this on. That way, we can possibly reproduce your problems for
> ourselves. Especially since this is one of my personal projects. And
> most importantly of all, what was the date on your simh download?

I'm running it on a Linux 2.2 box.  My ethernet card is a 3c905B in case
it matters.  I have attached my startup file as "simh".

I am using simhv210-1.zip, which as I write this is still the latest one
on the site.

Any ideas to try?  Hve you had any luck?

Andru
--
Andru Luvisi, Programmer/Analyst

Quote Of The Moment:
  Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from
  mediocre minds.
                  -- Albert Einstein

  They laughed at Einstein.  They laughed at the Wright Brothers.
  But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
                  -- Carl Sagan