[pups] 2.11BSD networking on simh

Steven M. Schultz sms at 2BSD.COM
Thu Nov 28 14:50:05 AEST 2002

Hi -

> From: Andru Luvisi <luvisi at andru.sonoma.edu>
> I have gotten 2.11 installed on simh, I have it recognizing the simulated
> ethernet card, and everything appears correct except the packets just
> aren't getting in and out.  The simh documentation says that the DELQA
> card is better than the DEQNA, but I was unable to get the DELQA (qt)
> driver to recognize the card.  When I compiled the kernel to use the DEQNA

	There are TWO variants of the DELQA as I recall.   One was referred
	to as the "turbo" verion (I think it was called the DELQA-YM) and
	the if_qt driver was developed and tested specifically for, and only
	for, that variant.   The normal DELQA and DEQNA should use the if_qe
	driver.

> I have configured 2.11BSD with:
>   A valid IP address on the network the host is on.
>   The same netmask, broadcast, and gateway as the host.

> I am running the emulator as root.
>
> The docs say you won't be able to talk between the host and the emulated

	Hmmm, that seems strange.   Using P11 I talk between the host (the
	machine running the emulator program) and the "PDP11" all the time.

	Ah, it has to do with ARP handling I suspect.  I know that with P11
	it's IP only and thus ARP packets do not traverse the emulated ethernet
	card.   If that is the case with simh as well then on the PDP11 side
	you might have to do what I did and install arp entries for everything
	on the local lan with which the PDP11 is going to communicate.   That
	way the 11 already knows the 'mac' address and does not need ARP (which
	doesn't work thru the emulated ethernet) at all.

> machine, so my test for each configuration has been pinging the gateway,
> which I know responds to pings since I can ping it from the host.

	Ah, but on the host did you publish an ARP entry so that the host
	will arp for the PDP11?   I think that is required.

	I would tinker around with installing published/proxy arp entries and
	seeing what happens.

	Cheers,
	Steven Schultz
	sms at 2bsd.com