[TUHS] Re: Making boot disks

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Tue Oct 1 10:37:54 AEST 2002

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002 09:29:02 +0930
"Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog at lemis.com> wrote:

> Well, it would be nice to know what you're really trying to do.
> What's the hardware?  If the file system is UFS, it's unlikely to be a
> good fit for Linux.  I'd say "try FreeBSD", but without knowing more
> about your software and hardware, it's not clear if that would be any
> better.  Google suggests that it runs on ARMs.  Is that correct?

The hardware is an obscure british platform from back when the ARM was
young. - The Archimedes.

The CPU is the ARM2 or 3 (either work) and the systems have SCSI,
ethernet, and (up to) 16Mb of RAM.

I dont actually know what the filesystem is, but my guess is UFS based
on the newfs command in the mkkernel script, and a rumour it is BSD
derived.

I have everything from a machines filesystem in a tarball.

I simply have no bootdisk, and cant create one without a suitable newfs

> > any advice from the list would be appreciated :)
>
> In that case you should copy us.

Done. whats the subscribe address, btw?

Well, heres the mkkernel and other scripts (attached).

is it possible for someone else to make a filesystem image for me that I
could dd onto a floppy? I suspect that this system uses an old variant
of ufs.

the system is little-endian, if that helps?

I just had an evil thought...

one way to get this system up would be to finish my port of ARMlinux to
the Archimedes (naerly done but lots to do still). then write a RISCiX
personality and run RISCiX newfs on armlinux ;-)

No. too evil. I think best to try easier methods first ;-)