[pups] PDP11/73, RD53, RX50... What are my options?

Carl Lowenstein cdl at mpl.ucsd.edu
Tue Sep 3 04:37:03 AEST 2002

> From: "Tobias Russell" <toby at russellsharpe.com>
> To: "PDP Unix Preservation Society" <pups at tuhs.org>
> Date: Mon, 2 Sep 2002 08:38:26 +0100
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a micro PDP11/73 equipped with an RD53, RX50 and a Cipher mag tape
> drive (untested). The machine currently boots into TSX (although I don't
> have usernames/passwords so no shell access).
>
> I'd like to get BSD2.11 onto the machine. What is going to be the best
> route? I assume that my chances of breaking through TSX security (so I can
> use kermit) are small, so is vtserver going to be the easiest method?

I haven't done it in many years, but after you get the machine to
boot into RT11 you can disable the TSX security stuff.  Probably a file
named "STARTF.COM" is the initial RT11 startup and it contains the
command to chain to TSX.

I suppose the easiest break-in tool would be a floppy disk with a bootable
RT11 on it.

    carl
--
    carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
                                                 clowenst at ucsd.edu