[TUHS] Re: TUHS digest, Vol 1 #145 - 2 msgs

Larry McVoy lm at bitmover.com
Thu Apr 17 13:45:00 AEST 2003

> I am fairly sure that 4.2BSD had manual pages for mmap, but it didn't
> work.

Right.  Joy left Berkeley and joined Sun and the work got done at Sun.
I'm pretty sure that SunOS 4.0 was the first release with mmap working
as it was described.  I was at Sun for the 4.1 release; 4.0 was the new
VM system, and it wasn't "new" like "we changed some stuff", it was new
as in everything was rewritten.  The 4.0 VM system had segmap, read/write
were implemented with segmap in the kernel (you did a read, the kernel
mapped page, started a bcopy and would fault on itself if the page wasn't
there or had no TLB entry).  Etc.  I have postscript of the papers on
that, still very good reading if someone wants them.
--
---
Larry McVoy              lm at bitmover.com          http://www.bitmover.com/lm