[TUHS] 2.11BSD license question: porting software to NetBSD

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Sat Apr 19 13:55:37 AEST 2003

On Friday, 18 April 2003 at 18:56:16 +0200, Igor Sobrado wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have just finished porting diction(1) and style(1) from 2.11BSD
> to the NetBSD operating system.  Those utilities are a part of the
> AT&T Documenter's Workbench (DWB), and are not available on the v7
> and 32V UNIX releases.
>
> I asked to the people of the NetBSD Foundation about the possibility
> of adding those commands to the base system (as a part of the tarball
> with documentation tools) but they think that it is not possible,
> as a consequence of a licensing issue.  I supposed that all the
> software provided in the 2.11BSD was under a BSD license, but it
> looks like 2.11BSD is a closed source release.

That's not correct any more.  Who were you talking to at the NetBSD
project?

> Can someone, please, helping me on this matter?  What should I do?
> Should I just drop this software?

We discussed the Caldera release of "ancient UNIX" on this mailing
list recently.  Caldera (now SCO again) was supposed to make some kind
of official statement, but it's taking its time.

Greg
--
Finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key