[TUHS] 32I: spl*() and paging up

Pat Villani patv at monmouth.com
Tue Dec 2 22:53:30 AEST 2003

There is an archive on ftp://www.opensourcedepot.com/pub/32V, but it
doesn't contain the latest code I'm working on.

The reason is that I'm working on locore.S, and the drivers, using a
small kernel I developed some time ago as part of the 32 bit
FreeDOS/DOS-C effort.   That kernel is easily adapted to any
"personality" and is easy to test with.  In my version of the 32 bit
FreeDOS effort, this kernel was akin to the "bios" in real mode, but I
digress.

Eventually, files that contain VAX specific code, i.e., mfpr(), mtpr(),
etc., will be modified and the bulk of the code will be processor
independent, with processor specific code contained in separate
directories.  The key files from this test kernel, including drivers,
will then be rolled back into the 32V source, creating the first 32I
kernel.  That will probably happen by the end of the month and will be
my next code drop.  I'll announce that here when its ready.

Pat

Masoud A. Sharbiani wrote:
> Sorry if this has been asked before, is there any source repository/tarball for your work so far available?
> cheers,
> Masoud
>
> On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 11:12:27PM -0500, Pat Villani wrote:
>
>>A quick update.
>>
>>I have spl*() code as well as ia32 paging up in a small test kernel.
>>More testing remains to be done before integrating into 32I kernel.
>>Interrupt structure working well, as well as system call interface.
>>
>>Still need copyin(), copyout(), fubyte(), fuibyte(), fuword(), etc., as
>>well as save(), resume(), etc.
>>
>>Future progress will slow down a little.  I have accepted an adjunct
>>teaching position, and will need to devote some otherwise free time to
>>preparing lessons.  I still expect to have a preliminary running kernel
>>by New Years.
>>
>>Pat
>>
>>--
>>I've always found paranoia to be a perfectly defensible position. -- Pat
>>Conroy

People who get nostalgic about childhood were obviously never children.
-- Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes