[pups] Bootable media for 2.11BSD

David Evans dfevans at bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Feb 7 23:53:56 AEST 2003

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 12:18:37AM -0800, Ian King wrote:
> I think I've done enough homework and legwork to feel like I can ask the
> list a question now.  :-)  I've acquired an 11/73 and want to install
> 2.11BSD on it; it includes a TK50 and RX33.

  Sounds like a fun box.

> The two ways I tried to put the boot files on
> were per the instructions (cat mtboot mtboot boot | dd), and not per the
> instructions (dd mtboot, dd mtboot, dd boot).

  Since I just went through this a few weeks ago, I'll mention that this won't
work because you won't ende up with the boot programmes aligned on block
boundaries.  The "maketape" command supposedly works well, and I made a tape
with it, but never did get around to trying to actually boot that tape.

> With no way to troubleshoot the TK50 drive, I then tried to put at least a
> boot sector on a 1.2MB floppy, using rawrite on a PC; I copied mtboot +
> mtboot + boot to an intermediate file, then used rawrite to put that on the
> floppy.  I got the same "Error 21".

  I don't know whether that would do anything useful, since AFAIK the boot
blocks assume tape.

> While there's a stubborn side that wants to figure out how to build bootable
> media :-) I'd also be happy at this point to get a copy of a bootable TK50;
> I have blank tapes....

  Whereabouts are you?  Someone can likely help.

David Evans          (NeXTMail/MIME OK)             dfevans at bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
Ph.D. Candidate, Computer/Synth Junkie     http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/
University of Waterloo         "Default is the value selected by the composer
Ontario, Canada           overridden by your command." - Roland TR-707 Manual