Another happy customer (was Re: [pups] Bootable media for 2.11BSD)

David Evans dfevans at bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
Sun Feb 9 07:47:57 AEST 2003

On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 10:48:36AM -0800, Ian King wrote:
> It's amazing what happens when you follow the directions - thanks for your
> help, folks.  I have 2.11BSD up and running on my 11/73 (booted off the
> disk, even), and it's currently untarring the last big chunk of /usr/src.

  Good job!

> I also
> need to dig into the machine a bit more - the bootloader tells me I have an
> 11/83, so I'm suspecting the CPU was changed at some point.

  A KDJ-11B CPU board (quad height) with Qbus memory is an 11/73, while a
KDJ-11B CPU with PMI memory is an 11/83.  The boot loaded likely just
identifies the CPU board type and assumes a /83.  It would only claim a
/73 if it were running on a KDB-11 (dual height) card.

David Evans          (NeXTMail/MIME OK)             dfevans at bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
Ph.D. Candidate, Computer/Synth Junkie     http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/
University of Waterloo         "Default is the value selected by the composer
Ontario, Canada           overridden by your command." - Roland TR-707 Manual