[pups] 2.11 on an 11/44

Steven M. Schultz sms at 2BSD.COM
Mon Mar 3 16:42:00 AEST 2003

Hi -

> From: Bill Gunshannon <bill at cs.scranton.edu>
> Well, the fun continues. I guess it's not going to be as simple as
>
> When I try to build a custom kernel I get this:
>
> cc -O -DKERNEL -DUOFS -I. -I../h -S ../sys/kern_clock.c
> /bin/ed - < SPLFIX kern_clock.s
> ?
> ?
> ?
> ?
> ?
> ----------------------

> And the "?" go on forever. Can't even break out of it.  Have to
> kill the simulation and start all over.  Anybody run into this??

	I have an extremely vague memory I might have seen it eons upon
	eons ago but I might be imaginging it.

> Seems to be in the clock code.  Is there something I might have

	Hmmm, '?' is "ed"s error indication.   I wonder if the '?' is
	coming out of ed and not SIMH?

> missed in the CONFIG file that could cause this??  All I basicly

	Not at this stage of the build - a config file error wouldn't allow
	the first few compiles to succeed and then start causing errors
	on kern_clock.c

	One thing I did notice though was the use of 'ed' - that tells me
	the patchlevel of the system is very low (i.e. old).   'ed' was
	replaced with 'sed' which sped things up a _lot_ - and that took
	place back around #325 in 1996.

	Have you tried P11 instead of SIMH?  When I'm too lazy to fire up
	the 11/73 I use P11 to do the testing/patching and so on.   It's a
	bit a pain to configure (really arcane configfile syntax) but it works
	very well - never had a problem with it.

	Good Luck.

	Steven Schultz