[pups] Installing Venix or 2.9bsdpro on a DEC PRO350

Franco Tassone franco.tassone at inwind.it
Fri Mar 14 08:30:08 AEST 2003

Hi all,

after having downloaded both distributions from a PUPS mirror, I was trying
to install Venix or 2.9bsd modified for the PRO350.
I've created for both distributions the installations floppy using a mvaxII
with an rx50 floppy. The mvaxII actually runs netbsd, so I did a dd
if=floppy.img of=/dev/rx0a for all the floppy images of the distributions,
but when I go and try to boot the bot floppies of venix (and 2.9bsd too) on
the PRO350, they fail to boot. The drive seems to try a little then the
machine hangs, no messages on the console, except a nice capital DIGITAL, no
messages on the serial terminale connected to the printer port with the
maintenance cable.
With venix floppy instead, after failing to boot, after a litle P/OS starts
from hd.
What am I missing, what did I wrong ?
Any hint will be greatly appreciated.
P.S. I definitively want to install an ancient unix on my dec pro350...,
help me !
Franco Tassone