[pups] Progress on 2.11BSD kernel

Ian King iking at killthewabbit.org
Wed Mar 19 17:44:58 AEST 2003

Well, given the excellent advice I received here (especially from Steven
Schultz), I got the networking kernel to build after moving a few modules
around between overlays.  It was indeed the overage on DATA/BSS that was
killing my build.  I did a 'make install' and sync'ed, then restarted.

<sigh>

Now, when I respond to the boot prompt with 'ra(0,0)unix', I'm getting the
following:

<banner for the image, date, time, etc.>
panic: iinit
no fs on 5/0

I'm booting from an RD54, and checking both 'ls -l /dev/ra*' and
/dev/MAKEDEV, it sure looks to me that the major device number for this
drive is 5 - am I missing anything yet?  That's what I called out as the
ROOTDEV in my config file (in sys/conf), with '5,1' as the SWAPDEV.  (I
snuck a peek at the CURLY config file as well, and it shows major device 5
for ra.)  Note that this is exactly the same device as I have been using all
along with the GENERIC kernel, so I know there's really a filesystem there.
(FWIW, I didn't define an autoboot device.)  In ufs_subr.c, I see where this
message is apparently generated in the getfs() function, but I can't really
tell from that where it's biting me.

Hey, if it wasn't a challenge, it wouldn't be fun, right?  Right?  TIA --
Ian

PS: I'm really glad I followed the advice to copy my old (GENERIC) kernel
image to 'oldunix' - so I can still boot!