[TUHS] SCO sues IBM?

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Mon Mar 10 11:21:47 AEST 2003

I'm sure I'm not the only person who sees SCO's recent legal
activities with dismay.  For those of you still looking for facts,
take a look at the links off http://www.sco.com/scosource/, and
particularly the complaint at
http://www.sco.com/scosource/complaint3.06.03.html.  There are a
number of things there which concern me, but particularly:

   85.  For example, Linux is currently capable of coordinating the
        simultaneous performance of 4 computer processors.  UNIX, on
        the other hand, commonly links 16 processors and can
        successfully link up to 32 processors for simultaneous
        operation.  This difference in memory management performance
        is very significant to enterprise customers who need extremely
        high computing capabilities for complex tasks.  The ability to
        accomplish this task successfully has taken AT&T, Novell and
        SCO at least 20 years, with access to expensive equipment for
        design and testing, well-trained UNIX engineers and a wealth
        of experience in UNIX methods and concepts.

Apart from the fact that I can't see any factual evidence that System
V as licensed from SCO or its predecessors had any competitive SMP
scalability, the "20 years" concerns me.  That could go back to the
days of the Seventh Edition.

Which brings me to the real point: a little over a year ago, we
received a message from Dion Johnson releasing Ancient UNIX under a
BSD licence.  For those of you who have misplaced it, I'm attaching it
again.  While none of us doubt that it is genuine, SCO has no record
of it on their web site, nor (as far as I know) do any of us have this
in signed form.  In view of SCO's aggression, I think we should
contact them and ask them to at least put the statement somewhere on
their web site.

Comments?

Greg
--