[pups] 2.11BSD device config trouble

Steven M. Schultz sms at 2BSD.COM
Thu May 1 04:43:11 AEST 2003

Hi -

> From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
> As already mentioned: If I add comments at the end of the lines it

> cn      1 176540 344    5       cnrint  cnxint  # kl/dl-11 (on mvx11-aa)
> cn      2 176550 354    5       cnrint  cnxint  # kl/dl-11 (on mvx11-aa)
> cn      3 176560 364    5       cnrint  cnxint  # kl/dl-11 (on mvx11-aa)
> cn 1 csr 176540 vector 344 attached
> cn 2 csr 176550 vector 354 attached
> cn 3 csr 176560 vector 364 attached
> Sounds like a funny bug?

	Yes, it does.   A bug in the parsing.   Why it does not affect all
	the lines is unknown.   Perhaps some trailing whitespace caused the
	parser to exhibit the bug.

> But if I try to use /dev/ttyl1 I get a message about a unknown interrupt
> and the output of /dev/ttyl1 hangs after the first character.

	What is the exact message?   I did a "strings /unix" and could not
	not find a string that looked mentioned unknown or interrupt.

	That would seem to indicate that the device is interrupting but not
	at the expected vector.

	It is possible to use 'adb' to look at the contents of the vectors.

	adb -k /unix /dev/kmem
	0344/o

	will show the contents of the 0344 vector.  The value there should
	be equal to 'cnrint' (or cnxint - I forget which comes first).

> I have a M3106 DZQ11 that I can use instead.

	Definitely worth trying.

> The DHV is a DEC M3104:
> dhv ? csr 160440 vector 310 didn't interrupt.
> The DL11 card is a clone made by Sigma.

	Ah, ok.  Thanks for the correction.   I misread the initial mail item.

> > 'halt' button?
> [...]
> Noticed that already. I am really not used to Unix stuff of that age.

	:)

	I did the the same thing - wondered why I could never get a clean
	file system.   Then I realized what was going on.

	Cheers,
	Steven Schultz